1) Game always
starts with a throw-out from the keeper. Here, the Black defender works
the ball forward.
3) The forward plays the ball to the midfielder in support.
4) He plays the ball out wide with one touch to the fullback.
The fullback advances, cuts the cross back
for the midfielder to score. The game restarts with the 3 yellow defenders
joining the 4 midfielders and they attack the opposite goal.
- 7v3 + 2
Goalkeepers. The possession team of 7 includes 3 defenders & 4 midfielders
playing against 3 defenders.
Add more players & vary pitch size.
- Add zones to limit player movements and introduce two-touch play.
- See 3-5-2 and 4-3-3 variations.
The large numerical superiority allows pre-determined moves to be carried
out. Here, this session works one of the major characteristics of the 4-4-2
system, by building up play in the middle to create space out wide for the
fullback. Midfilders must concentrate on creating space and the fullbacks
must work on the timing of their runs
- Each attack should end in a shot at goal. When the attack is finished (shot, save, goal-kick, loss of possession...), the game turns around allowing end to end attacking play.
For the Flash version of this goal - For our other coaching sessions, visit our archive.