1) The red
server throws the ball in and the blue player heads the ball back to him.
The server throws the ball in at different heights and angles to make
the player work hard to co-ordinate his movements and use different techniques
to head it back (diving header, use one or two feet to jump off, side
of forehead etc...)
2) Having headed the ball back, blue must run back and touch the cone before setting off to once again head the ball. This is repeated 10 times for each player.
LEFT-CLICK image to start animation & REMOVE MOUSE CURSOR from image to return to original image. For an explanation of the various symbols, CLICK HERE. For Flash version -
Small grassy area + 1 cone.
- 1 player and 1 server.
After serving the ball, the server changes position to make the heading
player adapt his heading technique to play the ball back according to the
- The server can also call out to the player, different parts of his body where he wants the ball directed back to, e.g. feet, chest...
- Add two servers to throw the ball to the player who must run in between them.
- The server can add a goal and goalkeeper and serves from behind the goal to encourage the player to practice his finishing technique. Finally, a defender can be introduced to put realistic pressure on the player.
- Click here to see Variation 2 & Variation 3.
The server must provide good delivery.|
- The player must concentrate on their heading technique - Keep eyes on the ball, attack the ball and make accurate and firm contact.
For Flash version of this session - For other animated coaching drills, please visit our archive !
Don't forget to sign up for our twice-weekly Newsletter as well !